Posting Date: June 11, 2021
Scott Builders Inc. is seeking a dynamic, highly organized, detailed oriented and motivated Corporate Controller to join the team! This is a great opportunity for someone willing to be hands on while also increase their breadth of knowledge and capacity to provide leadership and guidance to the finance team as well as advice on accounting matters to our operations teams. Experience working in a commercial construction company with working knowledge of both financial and operational accounting would be ideal.
Scott Builders Inc. specializes in total construction services, offering a single point of contact for every phase of a project. Established in 1971, Scott Builders is an employee owned industry leading Design-Build Construction Management firm based in Alberta, with projects throughout Western Canada. The success in our organization has been driven by our people. We provide an excellent work environment with substantial opportunity for individual growth.
As the Corporate Controller, the successful candidate will be responsible for preparation, review, analysis and interpretation of financial and management reports, variance analysis, budgeting as well as internal and external audits. They will be responsible for maintaining monthly balance sheet reconciliations, working papers, preparing year end documents, creating annual budgets in coordination with branch management and the CFO, contract review and analysis, ensuring effective cash management and planning, overseeing and assisting with journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and statutory reporting. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with operations to define, measure, analyze, improve and control current processes which impact customer quality and influence internal operating efficiency. Experience in developing and monitoring internal cost and financial controls and administrative procedures will be beneficial in this position. A strong understanding of the Canadian Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE), as well as all tax and regulatory filing requirements is critical in this position.
We are seeking a candidate with demonstrated experience in establishing strong relationships within the team, management and operations through effective communication, collaboration, ability to influence and build trust. A candidate who consistently meets commitments, is diligent in providing timely and accurate data and reports and has a high level of critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills.
To qualify for this position, successful applicants will possess the following requirements:
• Recognized professional accounting designation with at least 5 years of progressive accounting experience
• Degree in a business-related discipline (a combination of relevant industry experience and education may be considered)
• Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management required
• Previous experience as a team lead or in a supervisory position is considered an asset
• Experience within the construction industry is considered an asset
• Ability to create, grow and maintain relationships with internal and external customers and co-workers
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal (written, visual cues)
• Ability to approach issues from multiple angles and develop effective & efficient solutions
• Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications
• Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques
• High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
• Good problem solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward the work at hand
• Analytical at a detail and aggregate level
• Detail oriented in completing and reviewing tasks and to understand underlying factors or root causes in a given situation
• Highly organized and able to handle peak workloads by prioritizing, weighting, and ranking tasks
• Able to proficiently use a variety of and learn new computerized applications, particularly financial accounting software, spreadsheets and database systems
• Lead by example
• Demonstrate ability and responsibility for providing effective financial controls
• Flexibility in working periods of overtime and travel to branches/sites on occasion
• Must have and maintain a valid provincial drivers license
• Must be legally able to work in Canada without sponsorship. We are unable to sponsor employment Visas.
Scott Builders Inc. is a 100% employee owned, leading Design-Build Construction Management firm based in Alberta, with projects throughout Western Canada. We provide an excellent work environment and a competitive compensation package.
Our success has been driven by the people in our organization and if you would like to join our team, send your resume in confidence to: HR@Scottbuilders.com
We thank everyone for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Drop us a line and we will return your message as soon as possible
You are currently on the Corporate Controller profile page