Commercial Construction Estimator
Branch Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Scott Builders Inc. specializes in total construction services, offering a single point of contact for every phase of a project. Established in 1971, Scott Builders stands among the leading Design/Build Contractors in Canada. The success in our organization has been driven by our people. We provide an excellent work environment with substantial opportunity for individual growth.
Working closely with the sales and pre-construction teams, the successful candidate will be responsible to prepare and interpret tender documents and specifications and provide full-cost estimates including materials, equipment and labor for commercial/industrial based projects including conceptual, design|build, construction management/IPD/Lump-Sum or general tender work. This position will maintain current knowledge of building designs, systems and construction materials to guide the client in creating a viable outcome.
The successful candidate for this position will have the demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects concurrently while maintaining accuracy and meeting timelines. This position will perform accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs for all systems and levels of project documents and create the project schedules.
In addition, the successful candidate of this position will work closely with the project management team to solicit, analyze and secure subcontractor and vendor pricing and maintain the subcontractor database.
The Estimator will also attend project site pre-bid meetings, site tours and post-bid meetings as required to ensure estimates meet the needs and expectations of the client and project.
A strong understanding of the commercial construction industry, along with knowledge of Alberta’s building codes and permitting processes, will be beneficial in this position. Candidates with experience working collaboratively in a strong team environment will be given preference.
To qualify for this position, successful applicants will possess the following requirements:
• Post Secondary degree or diploma in construction/engineering or related discipline from a recognized post secondary institution
• A minimum of 5 years of pre-construction/estimating experience on commercial construction projects
• Designation in CET, PQS or Goldseal Estimator is preferred
• Experience in Design/Build estimating would be a definite asset
• Demonstrated skills and proficiency with estimating and scheduling software, including Onscreen takeoff and Microsoft Project
• Knowledge of Alberta’s Building Codes, Municipal zoning and land use bylaws and permitting procedures
• Ability to communicate effectively with various individuals/stakeholders through both written and verbal communication means
• Strong organizational skills utilizing well-developed time management techniques to meet commitments
• Ability to adapt and respond to changing needs and effectively troubleshoot and resolve issues as they arise
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to built rapport and build relationships
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
• Committed to providing strong customer service both internally and externally
• Flexibility in working periods of overtime and travel to sites on occasion
• Demonstrated commitment and adherence to safety practices
• Must be eligible to work in Canada without sponsorship
Scott Builders Inc. is a 100% employee owned, leading Design-Build Construction Management firm based in Alberta, with projects throughout Western Canada.
We provide an excellent work environment and a competitive compensation package.
Our success has been driven by the people in our organization and if you would like to join our team, send your resume in confidence to email@example.com.